Skip to main content

Can a university change a students balance based on the error of a campus employee?

Richardson, TX |

I am taking a course at a Texas university. I had an advisor register me for a course that could only be registered by an advisor. There is no way for the student to register for the particular course.

3/4 through the course the same advisor sends an e-mail stating she realized she registered the student for the wrong course and needs him to come and sign the paperwork to make everything right.

The advisor registered the student for a 1 hour course instead of a 3 hour course, but there was no way for the student to realize this.

A day later the school informs the student he has 7 days to pay an additional 800 dollars for the new credit hours added.

As this is all caused by an error of administration and not by the student should the student be liable? Is there any room for a suit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


No sound grounds for suit. You haven't been legally damaged. If the advisor had done it right in the first place, you would have been on the hook for the additional $800. The advisor's error does not entitle you to the windfall of a pass on the regular fee.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer