Skip to main content

Can a U.S. citizen sponsor parents?

Sacramento, CA |

Can my U.S citizen sister sponsor my parents who are here illegally? They both have been here since 1990, have no criminal record. Also my mom has a petition already in put by her U.S citizen brother in march 2001 would that help her if my sister sponsors her. Would they need attorney in their case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


She can petition them. Whether they can adjust status in the US depends on whether they entered the US legally.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Is your sister over 21? if so, she can petition for her parents (meaning your parents). It sounds like your parents may able to adjust their status in the United States under 245(i). Ask your parents to talk to an immigration attorney for more information. I would hire an immigration attorney. Filing fee is expensive (visit and you will see). Your parents want to do this the right way.


If your sister is 21 years of age or older, she can sponsor your parents for green cards.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.