Skip to main content

Can a Trustee of a revocable trust remove the successor trustee while the Beneficiary is still living?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am the Trustee of my Dad's revocable living trust in California. He is over 90 and is going to be appointed a Conservator shortly. My evil sister (trust me :-) wants Conservator of Estate so that she (acting as my Dad's Conservator) can then take action to remove me as the Trustee of the Living Trust. She is currently the successor trustee, and this is her plan to get control of the money.
Would it be possible to remove her as the successor trustee before the judge decides on conservator of estate?? There are no other successor trustees other than her, and a neutral third party being the new trustee (if necessary) would be preferable to my sister.
Do you have any advice?
Also, is it possible to prevent the court from appointing her as Conservator of Estate in the first place?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First, just because she becomes a conservator does not give her grounds to have you removed as trustee. There would need to be legal grounds for your removal.
If your dad was competent, the simply thing to do is for him to amend the trust to have her removed as successor. I am assuming this is not possible.
You should immediately retain counsel to object to her being conservator and to explore the possibility of having her removed as a successor if CA allows for this. Hire an experienced estate/probate attorney immediately.

Hope this helps.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is only in the form of legal education and is intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.