Skip to main content

Can a student change their student visa to a tourist visa once their student visa expires without having to leave the country?

Portland, OR |

My friend's student visa expires when she's done with school in December. She came into the country with the student visa but she also got a B2 visa while she was there so she could stay in the country until her graduation in June.

She was told she needed to leave the country and come back in order to enter with the B2 and have her student visa status removed and changed to a B2. Is she able to go to any border consulate like one by Canada to get that status changed so she does not have to spend a plane ticket home and back? Or is it possible that she can just get her status changed at an international airport instead? Or even a local immigration office?

Thank you for your help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You can stay but would have to file an application with USCIS to change status to B2



thank you for you help. I will do some research on that


Your friend may file an I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. Instructions and form are available at the USCIS online portal.



thank you for your help, but I was doing some research and I came across a USCIS document about nonimmigrants changing their status to another nonimmigrant status and said that they should file under USCIS Elis since the change is from an F1 to a B2. The form was a bit confusing. I will do some research about the I-539 as well.


To change status from one nonimmigrant category to another, one needs to be in a valid nonimmigrant status when the change is sought.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


She can file for a change of status with the USCIS. She does not need to leave the country.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer