Skip to main content

Can a sex offender that didn't offend against children, get custody of their kids?

Miramar, FL |

My childs father has been out of her life for almost a year now. He is a sick person, that won't get addiction, drinking and drugs...and a master of manipulation. My biggest fear is that he may get any form of custody, as he is a great threat. Does the fact that the offence wasn't on a child make his chances better? Hope not!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The court will look to the best interest of the child. While it is important for both parents to be involved in their child's upbringing, the fact that the father of the child has these issues will mitigate his rights. Of course, you will need to prove these allegations. You can compel him to attend a drug test and a psychological evaluation.

I recommend you seek out a local attorney to review this matter as it could be complex with retaining experts and court appearances.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer