Skip to main content

Can a settle before going to trail for a petty larceny charge in Virginia?

Capitol Heights, MD |

I have no priors and currently seeking employment so I would like to avoid anything that might show up on a background check. I was not fingerprinted or arrested but was given a summons

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Please ask this question in the Virginia criminal defense Q&A forum. A Virginia attorney should be able to provide you with some guidance in response to your question.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided as a public service and is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this post should be treated as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This post and the information contained herein is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not create or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. If you want advice or guidance that is specific to your situation or case, then you must privately consult with a private attorney or public defender.


Does your case already appear in maryland judiciary case search? It seems like at this point, the disposition of the case is going to determine if anything shows up on your permeant record. There are a few dispositions that would make you available for immediate expungement, which would delete if from your record that you were even charged. Consult a local attorney (several have free initial consultations) for more information and to see how to get it resolved.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Hire a Virginia criminal defense lawyer at once, and do not do this alone. A diversion program is possible, but must be negotiated with the prosecutor's office. Do not try to negotiate that deal on your own. Good luck.