Skip to main content

Can a school just send a student home that is not doing their work.

Circleville, OH |

my daugher is 19 years old a senior and on IEP she is not doing her work. I asked the school just to send her home if she is not willing to do her work. The school has done everything and so have we but with her age, Can't they just tell her do the work or go home? She is being disruptive to other students and doesnt seem to care. My daughter has been giving more then enough chances to get it together, as parents we are exhusted and the school is being to lenit on her. I feel like she needs to have consequences to her lack of concern. Make her leave the school, when she is wiling to come to school and do her work she can come back.

+ Read More

Filed under: Education law
Attorney answers 1


I can understand your frustration.

What the school may do in this situation is going to be governed by the IEP. While her age does present an issue, instances like these should be covered either in a behavioral plan and / or the transitional plan, as the ability to stay on task is a life skill.

In my humble opion "just" sending her home would be an abdication of the school's duties to her and you. It would reward the behavior deprive the child the right to FAPE.

Good luck.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer