Skip to main content

Can a representative payee change be made out of state? My mother in law currently lives in Texas, visiting CA soon.

Beaverton, OR |

My husband wants to become payee instead of a cousin in Texas. Concerns on how money being spent. And not allowing us access to his own Mom. Can this payee change be made while my mother in law is in CA for a visit, and my husband is also visiting from Oregon? Would she need to be a CA resident? Not sure of what roadblocks we might encounter. Thanks!

+ Read More

Filed under: Social security
Attorney answers 1


As long as you are talking about Social Security, which is a federal program, it does not matter where the payee is located. If you are referring to state benefits the answer may be different. For that you would need to seek the services of a local attorney.