Skip to main content

Can a relative fund my bank for the I-864 affidavit of support, so I can sponsor my wife (I am a US Citizen) for green card?

Fremont, CA |

I make no money right now, and so I will get my bank account funded to 3X the poverty guideline for a household of 2 by a relative while I file the petition and during the visa processing, and once she gets here, the relative would however want to get his funds back. Is this doable? Would simply showing a funded account in my name work, even though at any given time that money could easily be given back to the relative?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No. And you should not be discussing a scenario like this on a public internet site. Discuss with an attorney the feasibility of a co-sponsor. Immigration is not satisfied with a bank balance, but wants documentation of steady income.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state


I agree with my colleague.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You should ask that reltive to be a joint sponsor, not fund your bank account. Please consult with an immigration lawyer to advise you appropriately.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site: