Skip to main content

Can a registered sex offender get a law degree?

Columbus, OH |

I am currently on trial and if found guilty will be a tier 1 sex offender. I am currently in school working on my law degree. Can I still pursue that if I am found guilty?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You may be able to graduate law school. However, many states do background checks on applicants to take the bar exam. If you do not have a good moral character many states will reject you, even if you can pass the bar exam.

You should check with the state bar where you want to practice and see their requirements.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


Getting a law degree may be possible, but you will still be confronted regarding your past before being admitted to the bar. Admission may be possible, as well. Consider the following.

You must complete a written character and fitness application for admission to the bar in the State of Ohio. You will then be interviewed in person. Crimes of moral turpitude may disqualify you. That said, do not conceal your criminal background. Disclose any details on your written application and be prepared to discuss those details during your interview.

Some persons convicted of various crimes involving moral turpitude have moved forward and have been admitted to the bar. The concepts of “paid debt to society” and “rehabilitation” are relevant. Admission to the bar is determined on a case to case basis. A sex crime is an act of moral turpitude and will be weighed during the application process.

Agree with attorney Fink. Check with the state bar association and question them about the above information in light of your circumstances.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. The answer presumes you are not currently represented by an attorney who knows your specific circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer