Skip to main content

Can a public high school discipline a student for asking another student at home on Facebook to show breasts through video chat?

Brooklyn, NY |

and take of clothes? There is a boy who repeatedly asks a girl to show her breasts and take of her clothes and lots of uncomfortable messages. He also asks her to send nude pictures. There is no substantial disruption or interference in school. If the student complains to the school, can the school discipline the student?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Probably, especially if they both go to the same school. If the boy is doing this, why is the girl speaking to him over the computer?????

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



But there is no substantial disruption or interference in school. They don't even have class together. They only met through mutual friends. Although I agree that the girl should stop speaking to him.


Most school districts take the legal position that the school can act in situations like this if the affected individuals know each other because of school or school activities. If both students attend schools in the same district, the school will likely be upheld in discipline based on this kind of factual scenario.

Girl's parents need to involve the police.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


Short answer is yes. The girl should use some common sense and refrain from interacting with this boy. She should also tell her parents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer