Skip to main content

Can a policeman pose as a civilian and help a sting for traffic violations

Salina, KS |

I was driving there was man at a corner posing as a pedestrian calling officers over the radio reporting drivers with no seat belts I pulled into a restaurant and was out of my vehicle on my way in when a officer pulled up and issued me a ticket

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Though it's a little scummy in my opinion, there's nothing illegal about the way they are monitoring for seat belt violations. You might seek a second opinion from an attorney that is more familiar with Salina City Ordinances.

This answer is for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. If your legal issue exists in North Central Kansas, you may contact Manhattan, KS attorney Blake Robinson to talk about your case.


Yes, they can do that. An officer has the same right to stand on a corner that anyone else has. If he sees a violation of the law he can tell other police about it. It is not entrapment because the officer did nothing to convince the drivers to commit a crime.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.


Yes, unfortunately they run operations like this all over. They try to generate as much revenue as possible!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer