Skip to main content

Can a police officer send you a ticket by mail without pulling you over. and why wouldnt he have stoped you if he seen you?

Thorp, WI |

if your license has been suspended prior to this and the officer is saying that he seen you driving but didnt stop you at the time

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


some places now have traffic cams that take pictures and tickets are sent later, though an officer can personally see it and then send you a ticket. If you contest it, it is still up to them to prove it actually happened.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.


Many times the officer, and the court, will have a hard time proving notice when they send you a ticket in the mail. In order for the court to suspend your driver's license, issue a warrant, or increase penalties for missing a court date they have to prove that you knew you had a court date. They run a huge risk by mailing you a ticket, unless they mail it certified mail, because the ticket could get lost in the mail, it could go to the wrong address, it could go to an old address, or it could go to your correct address but someone there could have gotten it instead.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer