Skip to main content

Can a police officer claim he wrote the report incorrect after the insurance co. from other party contacts him?

Commerce, GA |

The report says ",for unknown reasons the driver of V1(other party) lost control of the vehicle when it became involved in a side to side whip.The rear of V2 struck the left front of V1. V2 then traveled north through the center median and struck the center arresting wire. V2 then rotated clock wise(he spelled it as two words) coming to rest facing west against the arresting wire." There were no witnesses to come forward and the officer gave no citations. Now the officer is telling the insurance co. he wrote the report up wrong and it was my sons fault At the scene the officer said he could not determine who was at fault..What do you do? THANKS

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


A report can be changed but the officer will not be able to testify to what he was told about the accident if he was not a witness. He will only be able to speak to the forensics evidence. (Skid marks, dsge to vehicles and final rest of the vehicles as he observed them.)

Samuel A. Coffey, Esq. ABRAMOWITZ, POMERANTZ & COFFEY, P.A. Belle Terre of Sunrise, Suite 101 7800 W. Oakland Park Boulevard Sunrise, FL 33351 Phone: (954) 572-7200 Fax: (954) 748-6488 Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Sam Coffey is licensed to practice law in Florida. This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Coffey strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


An officer is free to change his car accident report just as you are free to report him to Internal Affairs. Call a local attorney. Make sure to obtain both copies and send a letter to the officer that his is changing the report after the fact. Further, that this occurred after discussion with the insurance company who was not a witness to the accident. Finally, that you are requesting a copy of both police report and the field notes taken by the officer. Report the officer to internal affairs and submit all of this information with it. Another option is to report the officer to the State Highway Patrol.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at


An officer can file a supplemental report based on information he or she received after completion of the original report. You really should consider hiring an attorney to review the entre case and determine whether it is in your benefit to: (1) merely document the officer's statements about your son's liability and later use this information to impeach this officer, especially if you intend to file a lawsuit; and (2) to request a supplemental report from the officer while indicating the contradiction. If your son was injured and you are attempting to settle his claims with the other party, the crux of your case could depend upon the officer's statements -- so, take caution in doing anything without a competent legal review of the entire accident. Further, if it is the offending driver's insurance company that is telling you the officer is making this statement, you may want to verify that the officer actually said this and that this is not just a tactic to get you to settle your son's claims. At a minimum, document all communications with the officer in writing. Best of luck to you.

The above information does not constitute legal advice and does not form the basis of an attorney-client relationship. Lisa M. Blasser, Esq. and Blasser Law do not represent you and are not responsible for any actions or inactions that you decide to pursue in lieu of the above information.


Have your son report the accident to his insurance company to resolve. If your son was injured, he can retain a local personal injury lawyer to investigate.


An officer changing the report makes both versions pretty useless, as no one will likely believe his changing testimony. Discuss this with your son's lawyer, and, if he doesn't have one, get one.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


The officer can write whatever he wants but only the evidence will prove the truth as his report is hearsay and not evidence. Since no citations were issued, there is no traffic or other court involved. Therefore, if the other ins. co. refuses to pay your damages, whether they tell you their reason is the police report or the position if the sun and the moon, YOU would have to bring the matter to court by filing a lawsuit and use the forensic evidence available to prove who was at fault. Unless you have a small claims court in your jurisdiction, if the only damages are to your vehicle, with no personal injuries to your son (thankfully), it may not be economically feasible for you to pursue the matter through litigation.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you by attorney Robert G. Rothstein (404) 216-1422 for educational and informational purposes only.No attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.


There may be many reasons why he changed the report, from having help from an accident reconstruction done afterwards or that he was unduly influenced by the insurance company. It sounds like the other side is getting ready to deny liability and go after your insurance company. You need to get in touch with your own insurance company to make them aware of the pending claim, as well as hire an attorney to discuss what you need to do to pursue a claim on behalf of your son. Your insurance company may hire a lawyer to defend a claim, but not to pursue one in your own interest. The other side has already been working, so you need to be doing so as well.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer