Can a police department be sued for not giving your meds that night?

Burlington, CO |

My blood test showed a cymbalta a percocet. I am bipolar and told them that I would freak out. I hear voices. They refused saying I could overdose. They just had the blood drawn and the urine sample.

If they can be shown to be negligent, probably. Check with a civil plaintiff's lawyer but you will need to figure out what your "damages" are. Some anxiety, freaking out and voices may not be that compensable.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

It is hard to sue any police department. You would have to establish a harm that you suffered. How long were you in jail? Did you in fact, "freak out" and hear voices? I am not saying that you would not have a right to sue, I am saying that based on the information you provided it is not clear whether there is enough evidence or harm to you to be able to bring an action. The type of lawyers that handle these matters are "civil rights" lawyers or 1983 lawyers. Please feel free to Google those phrases and consult with one of them. Hope you are well.

Ann Toney, P.C. is a law firm in Denver, CO defending DUI, DUID, and marijuana drug charges.

Suing a police department is considered a civil rights claim. I think you would be hard pressed to show any damages based on one night of not getting your medicine. If you wish to retain a civil rights attorney, you should do so.

You would have to show more than negligence in order to have a claim. You will need to show that the failure to allow you the medicine rose to the level of cruel and unusual punishment in violation of the Eighth Amendment of the United States Constitution. This is not any easy case and unless you suffered significant damages it may not be worth pursing. However, if you arrange a consultation with a civil rights attorney you can discuss whether it is a case they would be willing to handle. If you do win such a case, you can obtain an award for attorney fees and costs, so if an attorney believes you have a strong case then you may be able to find someone to handle it without charging you up front.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

The facts you give are not sufficient to establish a claim worth bringing.

You should contact a criminal defense attorney and talk to him/her about this issue.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

You can have a civil rights lawyer investigate, but without damages, the lawsuit would cost more than would likely be recovered.

Without damages, a lawsuit would not be productive