Skip to main content

Can a POA take money from the estate and open a POD acct and name himself as beneficiary?

Reedsburg, WI |

My brother (POA) took my fathers life insurance check and signed up for a POD acct and put this money in it. He filled out the paperwork, told me and my mother that it was a savings acct. He had her sign it while she was heavily medicated for pain. There was no notary, and no one was allowed to see the paperwork. He took it home with him. He also filed her taxes and had the money deposited into the POD acct, as well as wrote a $5,000 check out of her checkbook and put it in the POD acct. During all of this time, my mother thought it was a savings acct. He listed himself as the beneficiary on the account.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It sounds like you need to speak with an attorney about this. When an agent is acting under a Power of Attorney the agent is a fiduciary, meaning they have a duty to the person on whose behalf they are acting. Your brother is responsible to act in your mother's best interest, carrying out her wishes rather than his own.

Your brother's exact rights and responsibilities are determined by state law and the terms of the POA itself. As to his ability to name beneficiaries on accounts in the event of your mother's death, the POA may give him that power, or it may not. That's where having an attorney review the documents, state law, and your brother's actions is key.

If your brother is doing what HE wants with your mother's money, rather than what SHE wants, now is the time to act, before any irreversible decisions are made.


Giving the power of attorney to your brother does not rob your mother of her power to take control of that account. Close the account and set up a new account in a new bank. She should consider terminating the power of attorney. He may have done other things that are not to her liking. Get an attorney

In Wisconsin, the actions you describe are a breach of his fiduciary duty and may even be fraud. You need an attorney to review the power of attorney and all of the facts of the situation to determine if these or other actions should be taken.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly advised to contact an attorney to obtain legal advice before taking or refraining from taking any action with respect to the above.


Let me be real clear here-your brother can not be trusted. His behavior may be fraudulent and he has clearly breached his fiduciary duty. You need to IMMEDIATELY retain counsel to help you in this matter.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has received a 9.7 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer