Skip to main content

Can a person with a conviction for 2nd degree murder that was then deported get a green card if he marries a us citizen?

Kinston, NC |

this person came to the us illegally and while living in new york, joined a gang and was convicted of 2nd degree murder. He served 8yrs and was then deported back to Honduras. My daughter has become involved with him while on a mission trip to Honduras. I told her he would never be able to return. Please advise

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


In a hunch the answer would be no. Sometimes it may depend so entire record needs to be reviewed for a more detailed answer

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


There is no way, am afraid.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


From the facts you present, it does not appear promising. However, you should consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney who can examine the facts if the case and advise you accordingly.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


I agree with y colleagues. Second degree murder is very hard to overcome, if not impossible. You will need an experienced attorney and even then there is no guarantee that he will be able to get a green card.


It is very unlikely, however, you should consult with an immigration attorney to review the conviction records and make a complete assessment for you.



I agree with my colleagues that it is more unlikely than likely that he can return back to the U.S. after the 2nd degree murder conviction.

Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. Speak to an experienced attorney before making decisions.