Skip to main content

Can a person get amnesty for a drug crimes of sales and possession of marijuana and crack in their early years?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

The drug sales and possession was for a small amount allowed under the law. My son (the offender) was adjudicated twice for the crack conviction. He was in his early twenties and now he is 31 years of age. He is unable to get employment or follow his career in his Building and Construction, although, he received his degree in the tech field.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Amnesty? I think you mean clemency (a gubernatorial "pardon").....

Following is a little information about the pardon process (and everything that you ever wanted to know about it can be found at: ).

Sadly, at best an award of executive clemency is a veritable lottery drawing, and at worst it is truly a political process which is housed in a shroud of alleged fairness. In point of fact the odds of getting an award of a gubernatorial pardon are probably close to those for winning the lottery.

I hope that this has been helpful and wish your son the best of luck!

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)


Amnesty when he has already been convicted? No. Your words and wording make this confusing, but I think you might be asking about clemency. The best thing to do is to actually go see an attorney about this.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.


I agree with Mr. Haber - it is REALLY difficult to obtain clemency. But, at the end of the day, should he not be convinced by the answers here, why not call someone where he lives, most lawyers (yes, even great ones) give free consultations.

The attorney's responses to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. For a free consultation, contact Aktas Law, P.A. at 954-332-2412 or at


There is no amnesty in this situation. You can apply for a governors pardon, known as clemency, from the governors executive clemency board. This will not get you what you want, because you cannot seal or expunge that kind of pardon. All that allows is for restoration of certain civil rights such as the right to vote and maybe the right to bear arms. A pardon will also remove the conviction from being used to enhance a future criminal conviction sentence. It is very difficult to obtain a pardon but you can always fill out the forms from the governors clemency website and take a shot at it. There are lawyers who concentrate in the practice of doing this. You can seek them out right here on Avvo or do a search on the Internet for that specialized area of practice.

The information provided is not legal advice from Criminal Defense Lawyer Albert Quirantes, or the Ticket Law Center in Miami, Florida. There is no attorney client privilege created in this communication. Do not send questions which are confidential in nature by either this venue or via email. Personal questions should be asked in person or via telephonic conference only. You should only ask theoretical questions of a general nature.


No. If convicted it's there forever unless the governor is will to remove his record.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer