Skip to main content

Can a person change a will without the other family signing?.

Columbus, GA |

we were left a house to the four children. my brother change it to himself without letting the other know now,i'm told he said we gave it to him for one dollar i want to know if there anything i can do to change he is very sick and can do what ever he will

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your summary is confusing and it is not clear what has happened. How were you left the house and was this done by your parents? Are you saying that after your parents died, your brother forged a deed removing you from the title? If that is not what your saying, then what exactly happened? If your parents died, then it would not be the Will that was changed, unless this was done while they were still alive. If that is the case, and you believe the Will does not reflect your parents' intent, then you can contest the Will.

It sounds like something else happened. When you reference $1, it sounds like a quit claim deed was signed. If that was not done properly, then you may be able to challenge it. If it WAS done properly, then you need to find a way for your brother to UNDO it, if he is still capable of doing so. It is not clear whether the other three children are your brother's heirs. If so, then it may not matter.

Because there are so many possibilities here, it makes sense for you to gather ALL of the documents you have in your possession including all Wills and any deeds, and to visit with an estate planning and/or probate lawyer to help you determine what exactly has taken place, and how best to respond.

I would do this as soon as possible, given your brother's medical condition.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.


I'm sorry but what you posted makes no sense. Wills can only be changed by the person who wrote the will. You may want to repost here and explain what happened, or see a lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.



the will states that if my brother become incapacitate or die it go to me if i become incapacitate then my other brother then my sister my brother is bipolar and my dad didn't want him to have it but he put it that way in case he get sick which is often . i call the court house and they said it was in his name only, i have a copy of the will my brother and sister have pass since and pass very angry, i want to know can i do any thing about it , he was the executor

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman


Your comment also makes no sense whatsoever. I'd suggest you take all the paperwork and show it to a lawyer. Unfortunately, you haven't been able to explain it at all here.


A person can unilaterally change their own will. However, they cannot change someone else's will, and cannot gift property that does not belong to them.