Skip to main content

Can a permanent legal residents of the United States invite a family member to the USA for wedding?

Dallas, TX |

My fiancé is a legal permanent resident of the United States he holds a green card and has a stable job we are about to get married and would like for our parents to be present. His dad has a good job and can Provide ties to our country and show proof of income for him and his wife. The only promble is my mom does not work but she has ties to our country can my fiancé invite (Sponsor ) my mother to come to the US for the wedding and show proof of support for her even if his not a US Citizen yet?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5



Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Yes your parents can file for a tourist visa.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.




Sure he has every right to invite his relatives. Technically speaking, no invitation is required to get a B-2 Visa but since such visas are issued at the discretion of consular officers it is better to provide an invitation with documents supporting ties the invitee's with his/her country.


Sure, family weddings are a great reason for relatives to come to the US as visitors. Just keep in mind that your parents are the applicants and will have to show sufficient ties to their home country in order to convince the Consular officer that they will return home at the conclusion of their visit.

I'm sure you have your hands full with planning for the wedding, but this might be a good time to also schedule that in-person, telephone, or Skype consultation to talk about what immigration options may be available to you once you marry even if your future husband is not a US citizen yet (permanent residents are able to sponsor their spouses for green cards right now UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS).

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations. Visit us at Call us at 713.335.5505. Follow and like us on Facebook:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer