Skip to main content

Can a park ranger give you a speeding ticket on a highway?

Sacramento, CA |

east 50 freeway, California, sacromento county, i was going 75 on the freeway apparently tail gating a guy a 1/4 of mile away from me

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, generally, as long as the officer is a peace officer, they can enforce any law, including the vehicle and traffic laws. I wouldn't make any admissions on an open blog on the internet, since the prosecutors can also gain access to this information and use it against you if they wish.

I suggest you hire a lawyer and fight the case if you believe you were not guilty of doing anything wrong.

Good luck.


Yes. Seek counsel if you wish to contest it.


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

I agree with my colleagues. Generally, peace officers can issue citations to drivers. You need to review how this officer observed you speeding. If she/he used a radar gun, you may ask when the gun was last calibrated. If the officer paced you in her/his vehicle, you may ask when the ranger vehicle speedometer was last calibrated. If you had any passengers in your vehicle, they may act as witnesses for you. You should consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer