Can a notarized letter give me temporary custody of my friends 2 children

i have a friend that lives with me and we have raised our 4 kids together (2 mine, 2 hers)
she has a legal matter that she needs to go to jail for and she wants to leave me the kids while she is gone. but we dont want to do the whole court thing. would a affadavit/notarized letter be enough in case i need to make some emergency medical descions or re-enroll them in school.

No. Your friend would have to petition the court for a guardianship so as to effectuate any legal rights to care for your children.

not what i wanted to hear but thank you

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns

You're welcome. It really isn't a difficult thing to petition for a guardianship. That way, you're covered.

can we do this ahead of time to have a back up or what do we wait for it to happen

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns

Powers of attorney you can prepare ahead of time. Guardianship when the need for a guardianship transpires.

If your friend lived in Nevada and she had sole ciustody of the children, she could effectuate the kind of guardianship you are looking for up to 6 months. This would not be sufficient to add to your insurance but would address emergencies or school enrollment.

This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship. The response is solely intended to answer the question presented. Additional facts and issues are unknown to the responding attorney. Should you still have questions, legal assistance should be sought by making an appointment to meet with an attorney, rather than attempting to resolve the issue via e mail. This response is merely provided to give direction to assist you in the decision of whether you should contact an attorney or not.

NO! You can do a guardianship yourselves at your local courthouse. Simply go online for the forms and then fill them our. you will be giving her legal guardianship. you will have to give the father legal notice. It should not be that hard at all to do this and pretty quick also. When you come out you can revoke the legal guardianship. It is done like this all the time. She needs it to be legal for school registration and also medical decisions.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.