Skip to main content

Can a non-custodial parent who resides in another state obtain joint custody of the child who resides in Georgia?

Newark, NJ |

The parties were never married and there is a current order which does not cover the event in which the non-custodial parent's address changes. In addition, can the non-custodial parent's visitation schedule be modified for equal distribution of visits during the course of the year; specifically between the custodial parent's residence in Georgia and the non-custodial residence in another state?

Moreover, the non-custodial parent currently resides in the state of New Jersey.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This is posted on a New Jersey forum site, and you don't mention where the non-custodial parent lives, but I presume it is in NJ. The current visitation schedule can be modified only in Georgia, since it seems from the facts presented that the child an other parent both live in Georgia, assumedly for more than six months. You may need to consult with a Georgia attorney.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.


You should start by consulting a lawyer in Georgia.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer