Skip to main content

Can a non contractor, subcontractor or supplier still place a valid mechanics lien?

New York, NY |

I understand that anyone can place a lien, but do you need to be a contractor, sub contractor or supplier to get it to hold? I ask because I had a tenant that hired a contractor to renovate an apartment in my house in exchange for reduced rent. He wasn't paid anything except future reduced rent, and the job is still unfinished, and he won't finish it. Don't you have to be licensed to place a lien over $500? Unfortunately, he also did several unauthorized renovations damaging my property doing so, and I need to evict him. He might not get all his money back in this case, and I was wondering if he could place such a lien on the house. Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In order to file a mechanic's lien for residential home improvement work in any of the NYC boroughs you must hold a valid NYC home improvement license.

The information provided herein is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer. You should consult with a local attorney regarding your specific situation to obtain legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer