Skip to main content

Can a Massachusetts lawyer represent me in settling my case?

Tewksbury, MA |

I live in Massachusetts and was injured at a restaurant in NH. I would prefer to hire a lawyer in Mass because it is more convenient for me. Can I use a lawyer in Mass?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9

Best Answer

You can use a lawyer in Massachusetts, but if you do that attorney would have to work with an attorney admitted to practice in New Hampshire if a lawsuit needed to be filed. The Massachusetts attorney would have to ask the Court to admit him or her to practice "pro hac vice" (for the purpose of that suit only). Those requests are usually granted. Our firm has done this in the past in successfully representing a Massachusetts resident who was injured in New Hampshire.


You certainly may; but more conveniently may not necessarily correlate with your best interests. Each case and lawyer is different. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Yes, but if the matter goes to litigation in NH, you would need an attorney who is licensed to practice in that state.



Yes, you may use a Massachusetts lawyer. Make sure the attorney is familiar with New Hampshire law and rules. Good luck.

Steve Coren

This answer does not consitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the facts presented. This answer is basd only on Massachusetts law.


Yes, you can certainly choose a lawyer who is based in Massachusetts, if that would be more convenient for you. Depending on the restaurant, your lawyer may even be able to file suit in Massachusetts. You may want to speak with a lawyer who is licensed in both states. Good luck.


Possibly to settle the case and if you have to start a lawsuit, the MA attorney can get admitted Pro Hac Vice if he gets a NH attorney to sponsor him/her


You can retain a lawyer from any state, but if the case needs to be filed, they would need to get approval from court called pro hac vice


Yes. A lawyer in Massachusetts could attempt to settle the case for you with the insurance company. But, if you eventually need to file suit in NH, you will need a licensed NH lawyer to help.


While it's difficult to ascertain without more information, most likely if a lawsuit needs to be filed, it would need to be filed in New Hampshire. To cover this possibility, but to address your concerns as well, why not hire an attorney located in Massachusetts but also licensed in New Hampshire?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer