Skip to main content

Can a man change his will to exclude his son and his grandchildren from his will after the son has passed away from cancer?

Church Point, LA |

My husband of over 31yrs passed away in 2010 of cancer. He had a 2% chance of survival & he wanted to die peacefully @ home. I honored his wishes as I am an RN. I cared for him for a yr after he was diagnosed. His father's will stated that his land would be split evenly between him and his 2 sisters. However, being old-fashioned, he felt I should have put him in the hospital towards the end and get physical therapy to help him walk again. The cancer spread everywhere. He accused me of killing him. After my husband's death, I found out that he also accused me of trying to kill my youngest daughter who has lupus because I was jealous of the relationship she had with her daddy, along with killing my oldest daughter 29 yrs ago who died of heart disease. This man hasn't spoken to us since

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A person can change their will up until death, as long as they have the mental capacity to do so.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


Unfortunately it his property and as long as he has capacity to do so, he can change his will at any time.

Actively practicing law in Texas. Inactive licenses in Arizona and Georgia. All answers are general in nature and no attorney/client relationship exists in this forum.


There is no automatic "right" of inheritance for children, and a competent adult may leave his property to anyone he chooses (with certain exceptions for a spouse that do not apply here). So, if he chooses to change his will after the death of his son, you cannot prevent that from happening.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer