Can a lawyer you are considering hire call your current lawyer without your permission? (and when asked not to)?

Phoenix, AZ |

We have an attorney that charges hourly and we were interviewing contingency attorneys. We contacted one that mentioned he could call our current attorney and get our case info. I immediately said no do not call him. I explained we are charged hourly and we are interviewing other attorneys. He promised no one would call our current attorney. Then, before the conversation ended, I asked him again to not call our attorney's office. He , again, promised no one would call him.

Well, I got a bill from our current lawyer for a call he took from this attorney for $100.00 a few days after I specifically asked him not to call him.

I have contacted this lawyer and asked them to pay this bill since they are responsible for this charge after I asked them not to call. THey will not respond

I would like to know if they can legally do this? Especially, after I asked them not to. It is actually not even my case, it is my husband's. And, what are my recourse's to get them to pay this?

Filed under: Working with a lawyer

A lawyer talking with someone about their case is a touch subject. Also, a person is entitled to have the attorney they want and can discharge an attorney if they are not comfortable. I would not take a case where a person is represented by an attorney, particularly without talking with them first. I would also suggest that you do not hire an attorney who before you hred them went against your wishes

I understand this. I would never hire them. This is ot my question. I am wanting to know if it is legal or how I recover the fee I was charged by my current lawyer for this pother attorney calling him when I asked him not to.

The ability to hire and fire an attorney is your decision. I agree with the Mr. Zachary and if a prospective attorney cannot follow your directions now, it would probably not turn into a good business relationship.

Best of luck in your search!

Goldman Law Group, PLLC -- www.thegoldmanlawgroup.com -- 602-256-2000 This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions. less