Skip to main content

Can a lawyer still practice law in California, even though he has moved to another state?

San Diego, CA |

A lawyer recently moved out of state and wants my business. He is still using his old California address which he no longer is affiliated with on all of his paperwork. Should I be worried about dealing with an out of state lawyer? What problems might I face?

+ Read More

Filed under: Filing a lawsuit
Attorney answers 6


If he maintains his CA license it should be no problem. Plenty of attorneys practice in more than one state.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.


A lawyer does not need to be physically located in a specific State to practice law there. He would need to be licensed in that State. In this day and age of electronic technology, it would be easier to practice from a distant location.
There could be any number of difficulties in doing that, but which ones might have an impact on you would be impossible to say.


He just has to maintain his CA License, no matter where he lives.

BEST ANSWER I got.... and I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL!! Steve Hamer answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help, contact Mr. Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.


Assuming his licenses is still in place, I think the question is more about the nature of his services and how often do you want to see him. In other words, if he is representing you in a CA litigation matter and he has to be in court for you then his location may be an issue. If you like face to face meetings and do not like Internet, telephone and Skype then may not work well for you.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.


As long as he is licensed by the CA bar, this should be fine -- virtual law firms are very common now.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Dan's expertise lies in the electronic entertainment (video game) industry, as well as complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. He primarily represents game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies.

Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Daniel Gary Rosenthal


I should add, my own practice in Maryland is a successful virtual law firm.


Sure. As long as he or she is admitted to the California Bar or is admitted to practice for for one case by the Court.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer