Skip to main content

Can a lawyer handle my husband's felony case if he is out of the country now?

Arlington, TX |

My husband got a DWI conviction and the lawyer said he could only get him a deal for five years in jail, so my husband just left to Mexico and didn't show up to court. Can a lawyer take care of that case for him without him having to be here?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


NO the State's Attorney is highly unlikely to willing to talk about the case at all unless he is present or at least lawfully on bond. His case must be very bad. However, you should know that another attorney can review the case and give you a second opinion if you wish, which might change his mind about staying in Mexico.


No, your husband has to be present.


No. Your husband has to appear for court to serve any sentence. He is likely facing a bail jumping charge as well.
Austin Felony DWI Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,