Skip to main content

Can a lawyer get my college transcript for me, even though i owe the school money for the perkins loan. im currently paying

Philadelphia, PA |

im currently paying off the loan now, but i need my transcript for my job or i caint work anymore

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Have you contacted the college for the transcript now thaat you are making payments? A letter from an attorney may dislodge the transcript.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.


There should be no problem getting your transcript. Have you gone to the Bursar's Office to see what the holdup actually is? Your progress on the loan should have nothing to do with your school records. A lawyer may help



That what I though but they told me it has to be paid in full. It's the Perkins loan what I owe, the school sent it to a collection and the collection people take money out of my check ever week. I talk with Perkins loan people and they told me if I make 6 extra payments on top of the what they take out then tell will notify the school to take the hold off.


If you owe the school money for tuition then perhaps that is why they are holding the transcript. You need to check with the bursars office to find out why they are holding your transcripts. A lawyer may be able to help in getting the transcript, but if you owe tuition they generally can withhold the transcript and many colleges do just that. Also, you should see if you can work out some arrangement to pay them and have them release the transcript. Without working and them not releasing the transcript your life is at a standstill and they are not getting paid. Hope this helps.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the receiver of such question should consult a local attorney for specific answers to questions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer