Skip to main content

Can a lawyer from one specialty represent a client of different legal specialty

Carrollton, GA |

for instance a personal injury lawyer represent a parolee with parole issue ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Any lawyer can help you. We all have duties to be informed on the cases we take or get informed once we take them. Even young lawyers like myself without a lot of experience in a particular field can be a huge asset to someone looking for competent representation without having to spend a lot.

I, personally, have about 11,000 electronic treatises on Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, and Federal law on topics from agriculture to workers' compensation. When I don't know the answer, I look it up and prepare myself accordingly.

While experience goes a long way, many older attorneys rely on experience alone and many clients will buy into this as well. This is especially troublesome as the law continues to adapt. I have been in 2 trials since January (when the Georgia rules of evidence changed) where experienced litigators were getting confused on their rules because they didn't study up on the changes.

The law is a complicated adversary, but a prepared lawyer is always the best advocate.

Answers to questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.


Any attorney can assist you on any matter but the attorney should not take a case that he is not qualified to handle. Most attorneys nowadays do handle specific types of cases so before you hire an attorney for a particular matter, interview them to make sure they are qualified to assist you.

This is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and none is to be implied either. You must contact an attorney and present all facts before you can and should act on this response


Sure they can. Many lawyers in rural areas are general practitioners. However, just as it is not wise for a lawyer to handle a case in which they are not qualified, a client should do their research and not hire a lawyer who has little or no expertise in the area of law at issue.


Technically, any member of the Georgia State Bar can represent a client on any legal matter in Georgia. In practice, you should hire a lawyer who has significant experience in the particular area of law involved. Here you should consult with an attorney who has significant experience with parole issues.

The above is general advice regarding applicable state law. It does not create an attorney-client relationship in any specific case.


Particularly in a criminal matter, such as the parole issue you mentioned it is important to find an attorney who is experience in criminal procedure and criminal defense. Nevertheless, any attorney may represent you on this issue so long as they are a bar member in the jurisdiction the case arises in.

This answer does not constitute a legal consultation, or definitive answer, nor does it establish a lawyer client relationship. Each case, controversy, or situation is factually different and requires particularized evaluation.


A young lawyer can often be hired for a lower fee than a more experienced older lawyer. But where I practice law older lawyers don't "rely on experience alone" and most of us old lawyers with 20- plus years of relevant experience can easily handle the young lawyers in court when litigation is required. When you go to court or a hearing, though, the facts of the case are usually the most important factor in the outcome. Even the best lawyer cannot overcome a really bad set of facts. You want to choose a lawyer who will prepare diligently for the matter at hand. But experience is also an important component of competency. You may want to talk to some criminal law attorneys who have experience witth parole hearings and who are familiar with the proclivities of the decision maker.

This answer is intended as general information and not as specific legal advice. If you want to have a free consultation with me, please contact me through AVVO.