Questions & Answers
Get the legal answers you need from licensed attorneys.
Question

Can a law firm you hired, pass you/your case to another law firm without you signing a new agreement with the new law firm?

My son hired a law firm for a personal injury case. They came to his house to interview him. They decided to take the case. He never heard back from them, that is, until he called them nearly a month later. On that day, they told him that they had given him and his case to another law firm, an affiliate. My son asked, "So when were you all going to tell me that you did this and didn't call to discuss it with me?" "Nor did you send me an email or letter!" "I signed a contract with you all, not this other law firm!"

My son never signed a contract with the law firm that he was shoved over to. We feel that it was wrong of the original law firm to just push him on to another law firm without any notification. Then the new law firm swears that they sent him notice that they were now representing my son, but my son never signed a contract with them. We found out that each law firm is getting paid from the proceeds of my son's won lawsuit!!! That is double dipping!!! Why should both law firms get paid??? Is it even legal for the law firm that you hired, to pass you/your case to another law firm without you signing a new agreement with the new law firm?

| 5 answers
Answer
Sponsored Listings
Answer
Answer
Answer
Answer
Sponsored Listings
28731EB2-58E3-4EAD-9AF7-03A80A94D0EF