Questions & Answers
Get the legal answers you need from licensed attorneys.
Question

Can a landlord single me out and tell me to remove my Christmas lights, but not ask the same of others???

I recently moved into a newly constructed apartment building. I hung some tasteful Christmas lights a week ago on my private porch area. Today the owner said I have to remove all of them. I told them I refuse. Here's where the problems begins. I was singled out, as other tenants have lights up and are not being asked to remove them. Moreover, there is no language in the lease prohibiting my lights. In fact, there is a paragraph that says it has to be hung within a specific time frame (Thanksgiving-January 1), and I am clearly within these parameters. Lastly, I previously lived at another property they owned for 6 years and the lights were never an issue. I don't understand what the issue is now and my young children are devastated by this. Is this legal, and what recourse do I have if any?

| 3 answers
Answer
Sponsored Listings
Answer
Answer
Sponsored Listings
28731EB2-58E3-4EAD-9AF7-03A80A94D0EF