Skip to main content

Can a landlord make you get rid of your dog if the dog is on the lease just because the dog barks at him because he taunts her?

Seattle, WA |

My 22 year old daughter just signed a lease for a year for the back part of a duplex in the South Park area of seattle. It is a fully fenced in area. Both of her dogs wer placed on the lease, one is a pit bull and one is a lab mix. the landlord has allready violated the RCW codes by showing up without giving proper notice, and he threatens to show up weekly. He imediately began by entering the gated area whithout concent whiched caused the dogs to bark at him, they had never even seen him before. My daughter then placed the dogs in the car and he continued to antagonize then untill she told him to stop. now he is telling her she has a week to get rid of the lab because he says she is agressive. She is not. Can he do this after he allready rented to her, she has lived there 5 days. CREEP!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The terms of the lease will dictate the notice provisions for a breach of the lease. The landlord will have to prove the tenant was in violation and she will have some affirmative defenses. But really does she want to live there with that landlord?

Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes


I agree with my colleague that the terms of the lease dictate and the landlord can neither make her get rid of the dog(s) or evict her without going through the proper legal channels.

However, as a practical matter, why in the world would she want to live in that house with that landlord? She should speak with a local attorney regarding her options and plan on moving out. The King County Bar Association can give her a referral:

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.


If she decides to stay, it sounds as though the relationship may end up deteriorating. If the landlord ends up threatening eviction, then your daughter may qualify for free legal representation from the Housing Justice Project.