Can a landlord lock the water meter even though the water is in his name in Tennessee

Selmer, TN |

There is a dispute about how much rent is due after I had a stroke and he was allowing me to get caught up and now he wants it all in one week. He locked my water meter before I got a letter of eviction

You should consult a local lawyer, and have her/him review your lease and any other written materials pertaining to your occupancy. You have not presented enough facts for analysis on AVVO. If your county is covered by the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act [see Tennessee Code Annotated Section 66-28-101 through 66-28-521. TCA 66-28-521 is particularly pertinent to your question. Good luck.

These comments do not constitute legal advice. They are general comments on the circumstances presented, and may not be applicable to your situation. For legal advice on which you may rely consult your own lawyer.