Skip to main content

Can a landlord fail to provide air conditioning in hot weather?

Falls Church, VA |

Out of revenge, my landlord has removed the cable TV boxes leaving my child and I without any television at all. He also turned off the air conditioner, and it is sweltering in the house. He disconnected the air conditioner so we cannot turn it on .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


ABSOLUTELY NOT. Call police immediately. Police nay say its a cuvil matter, but frequently they will take the LL aside and tell him how much trouble he is in. What LL has done is a crime in some states, and it exposes the LL to a law suit, damages, maybe attorney fees, termination of lease agreement, rent abatement.
Write a letter to LL demanding A/C back immediately it you will take him to court. If he refuses. Take him to small claims court. Send that letter certified nail.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer