Skip to main content

Can a landlord expect a tenant to pay for rewiring on a month to month lease?

Toledo, OH |

We have lived in the same apartment for 9 years. Our lease was signed 12/04/04 and became month to month - one year later. Two months ago we received a new air conditioner policy that states that if the unit cannot handle an AC the rewiring would be the tenants responsibility. The issue is that it could cost upwards of $500 and would be to the landlords benefit as they could terminate tenancy at any point, given 30 days written notice. We live under section 8 housing choice voucher a receive a state inspection per annum. Clearly, given the section eight standing, paying for rewiring would be contrary to the limited income factor.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Read the language of your lease carefully, as it still controls the terms of your tenancy and will likely answer your question. I am not aware of any law which would require a tenant to pay for electrical work that was not caused by the action or inaction of the tenant. Ask the landlord to point out the language of the lease or statute which would require that you pay for this - if the landlord is not able to do so and yet still insists that you pay, I would consult a local landlord/tenant attorney. I hope this was helpful, and best of luck to you.

I am licensed in the State of Ohio, posting a response to your question or issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney who is licensed in your state to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights--or rights to recovery of damages.


The Section 8 Rental Agreement between the Landlord and the governmental authority would apply and I doubt that the wiring cost could be passed to you. Call the LUCAS METROPOLITAN HOUSING AUTHORITY (419) 259-9400 and ask the same question.

I am an Ohio-licensed attorney. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting me does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.