Can a landlord add renters insurance to your lease before the lease is up?

West Sacramento, CA |

A landlord cannot add terms to a lease that you did not agree to during the lease period.

DISCLAIMER The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice. Transmission or receipt of any information from this, or any, website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. The law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be up-to-date. The application of law is dependent on the facts of each case, and no two cases are ever similar. It is important that users of this site realize that it is risky to assume that their case is identical to someone else's, without consulting with an attorney.

Maximilian Griffiths Barteau

Maximilian Griffiths Barteau

I agree with Mr. Roach, unless proof of such insurance was a term of your lease, the absence of which would allow the landlord to obtain same on your behalf. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a clause in the landlord/tenant context, though, but it has analogs in mortgaged homes and vehicles with loans. Check your lease.

Renters insurance is required by many landlords. However, if the lease does not explicitly require renters insurance, it cannot be unilaterally added later by the landlord. The parties generally must execute a signed, written modification of the lease, which must be supported by valid consideration.

This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. To schedule an appointment for an attorney-client privileged consultation, contact me at 530-231-4949 or visit our website at www.lowenthallawoffice.com. The exchange of communications through Avvo.com and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office. Thank you.