Skip to main content

Can a judgment for attorney fees and medical bills from 6 years earlier, be reversed?

Glen Rock, NJ |

The ex filed while I was having surgery and I did not make the appearance. Now I receive a judgment for her attorney fees and medical bills (which were never forwarded) some dating back 6 years and a demand for payment within 30 days.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


When was the hearing? How were you served? Did you respond at all to any served papers asking for a postponement of the hearing?

Depending on the circumstances, how much the bills are, etc., you might want to hire an experienced attorney.

Good luck!

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.


You need to speak to an attorney immediately. It sounds like your ex filed a post-judgment motion to enforce provisions of your settlement agreement regarding payment of medical and other expenses. If you had a legitimate reason why you were unable to appear, you need to file an appropriate application to reconsider, appeal, or vacate the order immediately. I don't know the facts of your situation, but the longer you wait, the less likely it is that Court would re-open the decision.

If you think this post was helpful, please check the "good answer" button below! NOTE: This answer is made is for advisory and/or educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, or posting a question and obtaining an answer, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is being established between you and the answering attorney, and there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney. You should consult with a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. The information provided in this answer is designed to be general in nature and is based on the facts stated in your question, and might change based on further information.