Skip to main content

Can a judgement for credit card debt follow you from one state to another

Greenville, SC |

I have a judgement against me in PA, they seized my bank account. Can this judgement follow me to SC where I now live or must they file for judgement in SC first?
How can they find my bank account in SC?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, a judgement for credit card debt can follow you from one state such as Pennsylvania to another state, such as South Carolina. Credit report activity is sometimes used by lenders to track information about where judgment debtors such as you do your banking.

Good luck.


Yes. Under the Constitution of the United States the individual states are obligated to give "full faith and credit" to the judgments of other states, which means that someone with a judgment can file that judgment in any jurisdiction (location) and attempt to enforce it there.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer