Skip to main content

Can a judge grant one parent to take the child out of the country without the other's consent when there in joint custody?

Hercules, CA |

There is joint custody of the kids (50/50). dad says that an attorney advised him that even if mom does not give consent for the kids to travel out of the country with him, he can still be granted permission if he goes in front of a judge. Can a judge make a decission and force the other parent to give permission?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes. Whether a judge WOULD do so depends on the particular facts of your case.


A Judge can make the decision to give the other parent permission to take the children out of the country. However, if it goes before the judge you would be able to explain your concerns for the dad doing so. However, ultimately it is up to the judge.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer