Can a insurance company get your medical records without your permission

Dallas, TX |

I became disabeled and filed a claim with a insurance company and sent the forms they needed completed, but they denied me and then turned around and said they obtain my medical records from my doctor and after, the insurance company read my medical records , they decided with their own decision that am not disabeled and will deny my claim .

my question is can a insurance company get my medical records from my doctor without
my permission and did they break any laws by doing so, and did my doctor break any laws by sending the insurance company my medical records without notifiying me also. Don't we have a law that protect us called the Hippo law....? thanks for a reply

Check the forms you filled out and signed. You probably gave them permission to get your medical records.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Sidney Weinstein, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Sidney Weinstein, sidweinsteinlaw@att.net, (404) 522-3108.

No. Your medical records are protected by HIPAA.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

No law was broken. You placed your medical condition at issue by filing the claim and probably executed a release.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

It depens on your claim forms. I agree with all counsel that answered this question. I would add if you want benefits you would normally be required to release I formation

Contact local consel

You wrote that you "sent the forms they needed completed." That likely included a HIPAA authorization for release of medical records. If not, then your health care providers should be asked why they released your information.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

You probably signed a form that was a HIPAA medical records authorization. If you didn't they cannot lawfully obtain those records and they broke the law and so did any doctor who gave them records without a lawful medical records authorization. Very doubtful, usually no doctor's office would ever be so stupid as to release records without a proper release. Check and ask them to produce the medical records release you allegedly signed.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

I only filled out claim forms to start my claim process and i never signed no Hippa BUT i do remember sigining a hippa when i applied for disability insurance but this is a insurance company i have been trying to get to pay me for now over a year and they said scince this claim has gone on for so long after me appealing it now for 2-times , they just went all by themselves and obtained my medical records and no one notified me and this doctor was my chiro, but since then i have seen also a medical doctor and had a MRI but this company only got chiro medical records not my other doctors medica records as of yet because i called my medical doctor and was told they have not been contacted. Do i have a case against this insurance company for obtaining my medical records this way which i already have a claim yet resolved....? thanks for another reply

Along with everyone else, I'm guessing you signed an authorization allowing the insurer to obtain your records.