Skip to main content

Can a house be used for weekend rentals if its in a residential neighborhood

West Monroe, NY |

Can a house be used for weekend rentals if its in a residential neighborhood if the town does not allow businesses of any kind in our residential neighborhood? the house is small and is next to another where we live on a lake and we know 1 neighbor would complain to the town if we rent it as a camp for summer weekends,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your question is too vague. Are you talking about renting your house on a weekly basis or turning it into a summer camp?

My answer is for general purposes only and is not not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, nor is it advice upon which you should act or rely. But, if you really want me to tell you something upon which you can actually rely: don't eat yellow snow.


You need to consult with an attorney familiar with your local zoning laws.


Every jurisdiction has different rules for local zoning. You should check with the local jurisdiction's planning/development department, to see how they define "business" and if vacation rentals are allowed in residential areas, and if so what permits and restrictions on use are required.


Check your zoning ordinance -- talk with West Monroe's city planning staff. It is highly unlikely that a city would allow you to turn a residence into a summer camp. If businesses are prohibited in your zoning district, you almost certainly could not turn your house into a weekend rental. Your neighbors would be most justified in complaining to the city. They bought their homes with the expectation that they would be in a residential neighborhood, not a commercial district.

There is a faint possibility that the city's zoning code might allow this use, but very faint. Talk with city staff first before you spend money on an attorney (this suggestion may betray the fraternity of attorneys, but if your city planners are competent -- and they probably are -- you don't have to spend money on an attorney to get the straight dope.

The information provided in the question posed is not complete enough to provide accurate legal advice. More details are needed to really guide the questioner. My response is not intended to be taken as legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer