Skip to main content

Can a hospital use the I-864 to force me to pay my ex-spouse's medical bills?

Boston, MA |

I understand the federal government can sue me if my ex goes on welfare or food stamps but can a hospital force me to pay my ex-spouse's medical bills?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Possibly if they are federal benefits



PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Only possible if means tested benefits were used.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



John Lassen 1-877-252-4630