Skip to main content

Can a green card holder bring over parents and fiancee?

Boston, MA |

Can a green card holder bring here his parents and a fiancee(future wife) from his country? Like apply for them so they can live here? And he would marry the fiancee and adjust her status. Or does he have to wait until he gets his citizenship? He got the green card through marriage to a US citizen. Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Only citizens can petition for their parents and fiancées


The green card holder needs to naturalize before he can bring his fiancée into the country. A green card holder cannot petition for his parents.


No, there is no visa category for parents of a permanent resident, or fiancé of a permanent resident.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Unfortunately not, he must be a USC.

Agarwal Law Offices 3 Dundee Park, B10 Andover, MA 01810 This information is for informational and educational use only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


No, green card holders cannot petition for their parents or fiancees. They can petition for a spouse (F2A category in Visa Bulletin), but the waiting time is lengthy considering the relative petition/consular green card application processing times. Green card holder should consult with an immigration attorney about filing for his naturalization to become a US citizen, and what relative/fiancee petitions should be filed after he became a US citizen. At times, it is better to file a fiancee petition than a consular spousal green card application, because fiance could come to US faster than the spouse.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer