Skip to main content

Can a grandmother sponsor her granddaughter when her mother is in the U.S. but left her daughter to come to the U.S?

Antioch, TN |

grandmother is a U.S citizen and the mother hasn't resieved her green card to apply to sponsor?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Grandmother can only petition for a granddaughter's immigration benefit in two instances that come to mind -1. she adopted the granddaughter legally when she was under the age of 16. 2. She petitioned her child, who is a parent of the granddaughter on preference basis and the priority is current.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Sponsor financially, yes. Petition for immigration benefits, No.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with Attorney Segal.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.


Any "sponsorship" can only be financial in nature. Nothing else. No family based immigration petition.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Unfortunately, a grandmother cannot sponsor a grandchild, except in cases where the grandchild has been legally adopted by the grandparent, and thereby qualifies as an adopted child if adoption was done before the 16th birthday of the child.

Answer provided is general in nature and based on the limited facts presented, it should not be construed as legal counsel and does not establish an attorney/client relationship with Olubusayo Fasidi. If you need more information based on response please call 713-954-4873, to schedule a comprehensive case review.


There is no direct eligibility category for a grandmother to petition on behalf of her grandchild. Meet with an experienced immigration attorney to further discuss the details.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer