Skip to main content

Can a get a million dollar federal law suit reopened if i was dismissed as a non-moving party

Milwaukee, WI |

in 2000 i filed a 1.5 million dollar federal lawsuit against a county jail for cruel and unusual punushment and violations of due process. The court found i had reason to proceed. In 2002 i was released after winning an unrellated appeal. When i left prison i lost the assistance of my Jailhouse lawyer and was unsure of how to proceeed, the jail immeadiatly filed for dismissal as a non moving party and the motion was granted, now many year later, after a short stint in the origional jail other consititional issues have arrose, can my old case be reopened and build on it or do i have to start from square one?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In general, if so many years have passed with no action on the original suit, time limits and scheduling orders have likely expired.

So, for the other constitutional issues you mention, you probably have to start from square one.

See a local attorney.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


Depends on the civil rights issues involved. But unless you get a real lawyer, yo are unlikely to get very far.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer