Skip to main content

Can a father who has joint custody of a child say no to the child going on vacation with her mother for a short period?

Poplarville, MS |

I am 12 years old and wish to go with my Mom to her boyfriend's house in Alabama and my father won't allow it. They have joint custody over me and I have already been to Alabama with my mom once before. Is/isn't my father allowed to do say where I can/can't go if I want to go?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It would depend upon specifically what those divorce papers say. Generally speaking, if the vacation is during the time period that you are supposed to be with your mother anyway, I do not see where your father has any control over where she chooses to take you on vacation. To allow the other spouse to exert that kind of control would defeat the purpose of getting a divorce in the first place.