Skip to main content

Can a father sign over his rights to avoid paying child support?

Dallas, TX |
Attorney answers 2


Unless there is someone stepping in to adopt the child, the father may be able to terminate his rights but not his obligation for child support


Before an order terminating a parents rights may be granted, the judge must find such an order to be in the child's best interest. In my experience, most judges do not find a termination of parental rights to be in a child's best interest in such a circumstance unless there is another man standing willing to adopt and support the child.