Skip to main content

Can a father receive 50/50 custody or almost 50/50 in GA?

Valdosta, GA |

My wife and I are fighting constantly. We have a 2 year old. We had issues several months ago and she asked me to leave. I tried to see our child while I was moved out, but she would not let me see my child until I returned home a couple of weeks later. My wife has previously been divorced with 2 kids from the prior marriage. The father only gets them every other weekend. She keeps our child with her during the day. I work a full time job that has busier seasonal hours a couple of times a year. Our child is very attached to me and prefers me when I am home. What are my chances of receiving 50/50 custody or something close to 50/50? Is there anything that I can do to help ensure that I receive more visitation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are two aspects of custody - legal (which deals with decisionmaking) where joint is common, and physical (dealing with where the child is). With physical custody, true 50-50 custody is hard to accomplish (it is done occasionally), because a child loses the stability of knowing which home is home in some cases and because school tends to make splitting up school weeks impracticable in many cases. However, even if that prevents exact 50-50, many visitation plans have far more than just every other weekend - such as holidays, extended time in the summer, often a weekday evening, etc. Sit down with a lawyer, share all the facts of your case, and see what the lawyer feels will be possible in your case.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer